When cooking with cheese, it is always useful to have the best cheese grater or cheese shredder in your home kitchen.
Cheese is delicious and perfect for a light snack such as a sandwich or toastie, or used as a delicious ingredient in numerous recipes.
In fact, whole meals can be built around the delicious flavors of cheeses.
A cheese grater breaks down the cheese into shreds, therefore making it easier to use in cheese recipes and even for filling your favorite subs.
Best Cheese Grater Reviews
As usual, we like to bring you a selection of home kitchen products that we have tested and reviewed to save you the hassle of buying kitchen appliances that will let you down after a short period of time.
We also asked renowned chefs about their favorite cheese graters.
We rate products using a star rating and the best cheese grater receives 5 stars, but all of these have their plus points and would be worthy of any kitchen.
1. Homdox Electric Cheese Grater
Whether you’re looking to create a delicious topping for your pasta, or use cheese as an ingredient in your recipe, our Homdox Electric Cheese Grater will make the job so much easier.
Homdox Electric Cheese Grater is a professional tool that is perfect for any kitchen, whether you’re at home, a cafe, or a restaurant.
- This is an electric cheese grater that can also slice, chop and shred
- It has 5 interchangeable stainless steel cones to shred, grate, slice or chop your veggies, etc
- It is versatile; can be used to process veggies, cheese, fruits
- It has a compact design and is lightweight
- Brand is Homdox
- It is made of Stainless Steel
I was looking for a new electric grater, and I came across the Homdox Electric Cheese Grater. I ordered it online so I can test it and am happy with it. It is not only good for cheese, but also for all kinds of vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes.
The one-touch control works well and has not been jammed yet. I recommend this grater for anyone making pizza or pasta at home, or who needs a fast way to grate cheese for sandwiches.
Compact and Portable
This stainless steel cheese grater is lightweight and portable. You can take it with you to your picnic, potluck, party, or camping trip. It’s easy to use and offers you a fast and efficient way of shredding or slicing your favorite foods, like cheeses, vegetables, fruits, and so on. You’ll enjoy a delicious salad in just a few seconds.
With 150W high power, this stainless steel cheese grater can effectively grate or slice your favorite foods. This is a great tool for preparing salads, pizzas, and more.
5 Interchangeable Blades
The food processor is equipped with 5 interchangeable blades allowing you to easily shred, slice, and grate with just one machine!
The one-touch control button makes the electric cheese grater easy to operate. Just push the button and it will do the rest for you!
The protection system of this cheese grater machine prevents the motor from starting when there’s no blade installed or when the lid is not securely locked in place. The Stainless Steel body makes it sturdy while the slip-resistant rubber feet help secure it in place during use.
- This cheese grater machine comes with 5 various attachments and a powerful motor, so you can slice and grate ingredients
- It is easy to use
- It is portable and compact
- It is affordable
- It is versatile
- It is shreds or processes food quick because it is electric
- I didn’t experience any problems with this cheese grater
2. Zz Pro Commercial Electric Food Cheese Grater
- It is made of stainless steel
- This is a commercial electrical cheese grater
- It comes with a hopper hand guard grid for safety of your hand
- Brand is Zz Pro
- Its power is 0.75HP/550W hence can handle hard cheese, chocolate, garlic, ginger
Why Zz Pro Commercial Electric Food Cheese Grater?
- Professionally Designed for Large Quantities Processing: It’s equipped with 0.75HP powerful motor which is ideal for multiple applications in Restaurant, Supermarket and so on.
- Multi-Purpose: Ideal for cheese and bread, hard chocolate, nuts, ginger, garlic and more.
- Variable Speeds Control: Built-in variable speeds control to adjust the speed according to your needs.
- Safety Design: It’s designed with stop button to stop the machine immediately when needed.
- This electric cheese grater is ideal for restaurants, pizzerias, and supermarkets
- The cheese grater comes with a large capacity container for both the grated cheese as well as the remaining cheese pieces.
- This is the perfect tool for shredding, grating or slicing a wide variety of foods including hard cheeses, vegetables, fruits, nuts and more.
- All removable parts are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- This grater is very powerful, and can shred through blocks of cheese quickly.
- It is pricy but worth your cash
3. Rotary Cheese Grater- Geedel Rotary Cheese Grater
- It comes with 3 Interchangeable Blades
- Its versatile; it can slice vegetables, chop etc
- Blade is made of stainless steel
- Brand is Geedel
- Operation mode is Operation Mode
3 Interchangeable Blades & Easy to Clean: The rotary grater comes with 3 stainless steel drums with unique and razor-sharp blades for coarse shredding, fine shredding, or slicing. It is easy to disassemble for cleaning and dishwasher safe.
Elegant Design with Anti-skid Function: This rotary cheese grater comes in an elegant design that will accentuate your kitchen interiors. Its non-slip base provides stability while in use.
Efficient Performance: This kitchen mandoline slicer will make a great addition to your kitchen. It has the capacity to produce a large amount of output in a very short time.
Widely Used: It can be used for shredding cheddar cheese, nuts, carrots, zucchini, potatoes etc. You can use it on salads, pasta dishes and desserts as well.
- The non-slip base provides added stability while in use.
- The GeeDel Rotary Cheese Grater is a must-have tool for any chef’s kitchen and perfect for grating cheese, chocolate, nuts, vegetables and more
- The stainless steel blades are durable and long lasting.
- This manual best cheese grater is easy to use – Simply insert vegetable or fruit into chamber, turn the handle to slice vegetable into ribbons or grate cheese.
- It comes with 3 interchangeable stainless steel rotary blades for slicing, grating and shredding, blades snap in and out with ease.
- It is constructed with 100% food grade BPA-free ABS plastic and stainless steel Slicer Blades
- It is manual hence uses much energy to grate cheese, etc.
How to Choose a Cheese Grater?
Finding the best cheese grater for your home kitchen depends on how much you enjoy and cook with cheese. If you cook with cheese regularly, look for a cheese grater with a large hopper. The larger the hopper, the more cheese you can grate at a time and faster.
Sharp blades are essential for any cheese grater.
While many kinds of cheese are soft and easy to grate, some harder cheeses such as parmesan can require a little more effort. A cheese grater with decent, sharp blades will make light work of harder cheeses.
Easy to take apart and wash
Ensure that your cheese grater is easy to clean and maintain.
A standard cheese grater can be put into the dishwasher or washed with your dishes simply enough but more complex rotary or electric cheese graters will need to be taken apart to clean them thoroughly. So check that the cheese grater you intend to buy is easy to take apart and wash.
Look for a cheese grater that is constructed from quality materials. If you intend to buy an electric cheese grater, check that it has a lengthy manufacturer’s warranty and is made from superior parts such as stainless steel.
Quantity of Cheese that you want to Grate
If cooking for a crowd is part of your everyday life, you may want to consider an electric cheese grater that makes quick work of large quantities of cheese.
Electric graters also allow you to grate directly over salads or casseroles without dirtying another dish. Such models can be expensive, however, and they don’t come with all the options available on manual models.
Type of Cheese You Will Be Shredding
If you need to grate any soft cheeses like mozzarella, or softer fresh cheeses like goat cheese or feta, a box grater is a way to go. It’s also easier to scrape off the cheese at the bottom of the box grater, while with a rotary grater you have to pry it out with a knife or spoon.
If you occasionally grate Parmesan or Romano which is a hard cheese, you’ll want a sturdy model that is both sharp and durable.
Consider Your Storage Space
A rotary grater might take up less room in a drawer than the larger box-grater type (which can have three or four different sides), but it’s harder to wash — sometimes, it’s not even possible to get into all the nooks and crannies where food can get stuck.
A box-style grater might take up more space in your kitchen and will almost certainly require hand-washing — but it is easy to clean.
Types of Cheese Graters
Box graters are the familiar four-sided box with a handle that lets you grate in four different directions. This is the workhorse of the kitchen, good for both soft and hard cheeses.
They come in a range of sizes, from small handheld models to large ones with multiple blades that can also be used as food processors or slicers. You can even find box graters with two different holes on each side — one coarse and one fine — which gives you more options when it comes to how finely or coarsely your cheese should be grated.
Handheld graters are inexpensive, easy to clean and store, and are great for small jobs. However, they can be difficult to use for larger amounts of cheese — you’ll need a strong grip on the grater itself. The cheese can also be difficult to collect without splattering everywhere.
Rotary Cheese Grater
Rotary cheese graters are a must-have in your kitchen. The rotary cheese grater is a versatile kitchen tool that allows you to grate, shred, and slice various foods, including but not limited to cheese, carrots, potatoes, and chocolate.
A rotary cheese grater is a small handheld device that has a crank-style handle on one side and a drum grating cylinder on the other. The drum cylinder is typically made of plastic or stainless steel. Its blades are usually made of stainless steel.
Electric Cheese Grater
An electric cheese grater makes shredding cheese much easier by automating the process so you don’t have to do all of the work manually.
Electric cheese graters are commonly used in restaurants, supermarkets, and home kitchens too. Their motor spins the drum, which shreds the cheese. These cheese graters are powerful.
What are graters used for?
A grater (also known as a shredder) is a kitchen utensil used to grate foods into fine pieces. The best models work well with a range of foods, including cheese, chocolate, and vegetables.
Foods that are commonly grated include:
- Vegetables (carrots, potatoes, cabbage, cucumber, etc.)
Can Mozzarella Cheese Be Grated?
Yes, it is possible to grate fresh Mozzarella cheese. You may have to freeze the cheese for a little while before you can grate it. Mozzarella is a very soft cheese and it is difficult to grate while it is soft.
Why You Need to Stop Buying Shredded Cheese?
It is important to shred your own cheese because the quality will be much better. The longer cheese sits in the store, the more likely it is that mold will develop and cause it to go bad. Shredding your own cheese ensures that you eat fresh and non-contaminated cheese.
You can buy a food processor or a cheese grater at an affordable price and make your own shredded cheese in minutes. If you have a big family, you can even process more than one pound of cheese at a time for savings on storage space — compared to buying pre-shredded cheeses from the store.
- Patrick F. Fox (1999). Cheese: chemistry, physics and microbiology, Volume 1. Springer. p. 1. ISBN 978-0-8342-1338-8. Archived from the original on June 10, 2021. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- Irvine, D., & Hill, A. (1985). Cheese. In D. Irvine, A. Hill, & M. Moo-Young (Ed.), Comprehensive Biotechnology. World Bank Publications.