Last Updated on April 5, 2022 by homeguide
Do you love spending time outdoors? Consider having a fire pit grill that will turn your home backyard into a retreat. You will enjoy spending your time outside of your house next to a cozy fire.
Looking for honest fire pit grill reviews? Read this article. I will explain everything you need to know about them such as their features, pros, and cons, just to name a few.
Different Types of fire pits
Cast iron fire pit
Cast Iron is a mixture of Iron, carbon, and small percentages of manganese and Silicone.
Cast Iron is made by smelting Iron ore. The hot mixture is then emptied into molds that are allowed to cool and solidify.
As a result, cast iron is a strong and brittle metal that cannot be bent easily.
Best Cast Iron Firepits
1. Catalina Creations Heavy Duty Cast Iron Fire Pit with Cover and Accessories, 29″
I picked some of the bestselling cast Iron fire pits to cater to your needs. I asked 5 home experts, including some realtors about their favorites.
Catarina creation wood-burning fire pit will turn your backyard into a good retreat.
- It has a deep cast iron fire bowl. It’s cut out of mood and stars make it look stylish.
- Its deep bowl can accommodate large fires.
- It comes with a cover to protect it when not in use.
- You will get a screen lifting tool when you purchase this fire pit
- It comes with a removable mesh screen to take care of flying embers.
- Its log grate facilitates airflow needed for wood burning
- It has a weight of 60 pounds
2. Esschert Design BV11 Low Profile Firepit with Grate
- This is a cast iron fire pit.
- It comes with a barbecue grill
- It can be used for grill or firepot.
- Its petite size makes it a good portable fire pit
- Has air ventilation needed to burn wood
- Esschert cast iron firepit has a 22-inch diameter and 12.6 heights
Firepit grill combo
Whether used as a fire pot or for a grill, it will serve the purpose intended. With its grill, you can make a barbecue or cook with it. With a fire pit like this, just add some sofas and you will have a perfect place to spend quality time with your family or friends.
Well-designed air ventilation
Its well-designed air ventilation will ensure that the wood will burn smoothly with less smoke. If you are looking for a home design to brighten up the atmosphere during night time, consider this fire pit.
Its flame has enough light and warmth to sit outside and read a book or even savor a warm cocktail outside with your lover.
Portable fire pit
Lastly, its small size makes it portable to any place you want to place it.
When not in use, cover to prevent rain from corroding it. Do not forget to clean it regularly.
Be safe; don’t use your fire pit when it’s windy or near low hanging tree branches
Uses of a Fire Pit Grill
A fire pit provides the warmth needed during winter. It sparks discussion, and creativity and ignites passions. Imagine sitting in your home backyard with no fire, it is boring, right?
A study conducted by Lynn shows fire has effects that cause people to be more sociable.
A fire pit makes use of a backyard.
- it facilitates the gathering of friends and family
- It’s a good place to roast marshmallows, barbecue, or cook
A fire pit will add value to your home
These types of constructions are perfect for parties and birthdays. They can add value to your home since many buyers are attracted to homes with good-looking backyards.
6 Factors to Consider when selecting a fire pit with a grill
Before you buy these backyard structures, decide where you want to place them. You have to consider fuel to use, its price, size, materials used to construct the fire pit, maintenance requirements, portability, and safety, just to name a few.
1. Fuel: Wood, Propane, Natural Gas
Wood burning fire pits
Many people love the aroma and cracking sound of a fire and if you are one of them, then wood is the best fuel for you.
Gas fueled fire pit
But if on the other hand, you love neatness on your porch, then consider natural gas or propane.
Propane or gas fire pit grill can be used on an open porch with roofs and you don’t have to worry about piles of wood, smoke, ashes, or debris.
Go for a fire pit that is constructed using materials that are not going to rust or break easily. Cast aluminum makes good material to construct these home structures because it does not rust quickly.
Steel being an alloy of carbon and iron can make a very good firepit. It’s strong, and items made from this metal are durable. Ceramic and slate do not rust hence can make good items.
3. Maintenance Requirements
If you will not take proper care of your fire pit, it will rust especially if made of cast iron. The intense heat, moisture, and air make it a good remedy for oxidation or rusting.
You can avoid rust by:
- Cover your fire pit when you are not using it. This will prevent it from getting rained on which can accelerate rusting.
- Clean it regularly. Ash can react with metal
- Apply stove paint once a year. It will help your backyard structure look well and last longer.
4. Size of fire pit grill combo
The thickness of a fire bowl matters. The thicker it is, the more it will be able to endure the heat of the fire. The size of your fire pit will matter too. If you have a larger family, try to get a bigger one.
5. Firepit with Grill
Fire pits with no grill or cooking option are a missed opportunity. I would recommend buying a fire pit with a grill. It will make a great place to barbecue or cook for your family or friends.
6. Portable or fixed firepit?
Decide if you want a portable or fixed fire pit. A portable one can be moved from one place to the other, unlike a fixed one.
Features of Fire pits
Firepit Features include the following:
Grill: I would recommend getting a fire pit with a grill. Who does not love food cooked over a fire?
Cover: A fire pit with a thick cover will protect it from water when you are not using it.
Wheels: This will allow you to reposition your fire pit easily on your door space.
Alternatives of Firepits
1. Fire Ring
Fire rings are moveable outdoor devices that are used to hold fire safely in one spot.
When a grill is at the center of people’s backyard, family and friends will come together to make simple meals, barbecue, eat, drink and socialize during summer or winter.
What is a Fire ring?
A fire ring is a construction designed to contain fires. This will prevent the fire from spreading.
They are simple structures, unlike fire pits which have a bowl, etc. Fire rings are simply circles made of stone, a metal such as steel or concrete, and are used to contain the fire.
You can partially bury your fire ring in the ground or just place it on top.
Manufactured ones come with a grill option for cooking or barbecuing. Many people prefer a fire ring with a grill so they can cook or barbecue.
Manufactured Fire rings versus makeshift Fire rings
If you prefer to make your own fire ring, use either stones or concrete. Makeshift fire rings are mostly heavy-duty and are not easy to move from one place to the other.
I would recommend manufactured fire rings. They are designed to last because they are constructed using high-quality materials, unlike makeshift ones which tend to break easily if made of concrete or stone.
Manufactured fire rings completely surround the fire, unlike makeshift fire rings which could be constructed and not surround the whole fire.
How to prepare your lawn for a fire ring
If you want to construct a fire ring, you need to prepare your lawn. Your lawn or grass needs protection from the fierce heat of a fire.
1. Choose a good spot for your fire ring and rake it to remove dead grass and other materials that can catch fire easily.
2. If your patio or outdoor space has grass, lay some blocks to protect it from the heat of a fire.
3. Place your fire ring at a distance of 10 feet from any structure.
4. Don’t use it on a covered porch
5. Never leave your fire unattended or use it when it’s too windy.
6. You can buy a spark screen to contain embers of your fire.
7. Have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of fire flames land outside the ring.
8. Make sure the spot you chose to place your structure has no tree branches hanging around it.
9. You can check with your local authorities on laws regarding fire pits or fire rings.
10. Lastly, be cleaning your fire ring regularly to prolong its life.
Examples of Fire rings
a. Sunnydaze Fire Ring
This is a product of Sunnydaze DÉCOR, a manufacturer of home & garden products.
- It is a 36-inch diameter, 9-inch tall campfire ring. It is made of thick sturdy steel of 0.6 mm for durability
- It is painted black for heat resistance.
- It is delivered in 4 pieces which can be assembled with ease.
- It is portable and hence can be moved from one place to the other.
- It has beautifully designed air holes of crescent moons and stars. This makes it look stylish and at the same time provides the air needed to burn wood thus emitting less smoke to the environment.
This fire ring is designed to bring warmth and ambiance to your outdoor space for your friends and family.
b. Fire ring with grill-by Catarina creations
This is a heavy-duty fire ring with a grill or cooking grate. Its thickness is triple the size of its competitors. It is durable and weatherproof.
Benefits of Catarina fire ring with grill
- It has a 25” grill grate that is adjustable. Use the grill to barbecue or cook
- It will contain the fire, and provide heat and light to the environment.
Being a heavy-duty fire ring, it qualifies to be a fixed but not portable fire ring.
2. Fire bowl
It is very possible to turn your outdoor space into a retreat with a fire bowl.
This will be a perfect place where you can go to relax, have a conversation with friends and family, or cook. If you have already an outdoor kitchen, a fire bowl will automatically complete it.
The benefits of having a Fire bowl
- It heats the environment around it making it the perfect remedy for a cold winter
- It adds natural beauty to your outdoor space.
- It facilitates gathering, and socialization and makes use of a backyard.
Things to Consider before buying a Fire bowl
Choosing a fire bowl requires a careful selection. There are various factors you need to consider before buying a fire bowl that will cater to your needs. They include:
- Its maintenance
- Materials used to construct it
- Is it portable or fixed fire bowl
- Price, just to name a few